14 December, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie ~ Apple-Coconut Family Cake

This week's recipe was chosen by Amber of Cobbler du Monde. I was really excited about this cake. Although I am not the biggest apple fan, I do really enjoy apple cakes. And with the coconut thrown in there ~ oh, the excitement.


I was in a state yesterday. I stayed up way too late Sunday night reading Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. I love young adult fiction - I am guilty of indulging in The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, The Princess Diaries and The Sally Lockhart Mysteries, among others. The the movie adaptation of Louise Rennison's book was recommended to me on Netflix, I watched it, loved it and had to read the book. It's wildy funny and endearing and I felt exactly the same as Georgia when I was 14 - big nose phobia included. I only got 4 hours of sleep Sunday night. After a quick power nap I got to work on this cake. I made it so quickly the whole time it was in the oven I was playing out all of the worst case scenarios in my head, I was sure I had forget something crucial. But, it turned out perfect.

It smelled divine while it was baking. I forgot to pick up yogurt when I was at the market so I subbed sour cream - I ended up having just enough. This cake was as easy as a quick bread, I pulled it together in less than 10 minutes. It is also quite the looker. I couldn't wait to tuck into a fat slice topped with whipped cream. It was utterly delicious ~ moist, flavorful from the apple, coconut and cinnamon. I really enjoyed it.

Sadly, my computer died and although we have a second laptop it does not have photoshop and I'm currently at a loss as to where the photoshop installation CD so I have a feeling most of my photos for a while will be less than gorgeous. Ugh!

3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Your photo still looks great! I hate it when I get good shots and then can't post them for some reason. Glad you enjoyed the apple + coconut combo!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Your cake is beautiful! I subbed sour cream, too, and still loved it. :)

Tia said...

photos au naturel - lol :)
your cake looks great!